Wednesday, February 16, 2011



Ok, y'all may be thinking that I am very weird after this post but, oh well. I am...there, I said it. I make homemade toothpaste! My kids aren't onto it just yet but there is still time to convert them. There are many reasons why I plan to be a totally homemade toothpaste family. The first is cost. Yes, I know I can get it cheap, even free, with coupons...which brings me to reason #2:what the heck is even in that stuff? I'm sorry, but I won't use junk, even if I can get it for free! That's the whole reason I have backed away from coupons, but I digress. Back to the point. If you haven't researched the effects of fluoride, please do so. I won't put all of my reasons here but please do your own research. It will be worth your while. Aside from the fluoride debate, just read the ingredients that are listed right there on the package of toothpaste. I bet you can't pronounce most of them. The third reason is waste. When did we, as Americans, begin to think it is ok for us to just throw things away in the dump? Seriously, why is that an acceptable practice? When you make things yourself at home you eliminate much of the waste that your family produces. There are as many excuses for why people don't make their own things as there are things for them to make. We need to stop being lazy and get rid of this 'entitled' mentality that we have and stop depending on corporations to take care of our families. Here's a news flash...if they poison you or a family member with junk they put in their products, you're on your own! They aren't gonna give a rip. With the internet we have no valid excuse not to research and make our own things.

Anyway, sorry about that. I get on my soap box from time to time. On with the recipes...

Here is one that I haven't tried yet, but I plan to very soon! Through my research I have found that cloves are great for a toothache. This recipes uses cloves. This one is more of a powder, while the other is an actual paste.
*1 Tablespoon baking soda
*1/2 Tablespoon salt
*1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
~just mix and use on wet toothbrush! If you like it you could mix up a large batch of it.

This is my favorite one, by far! I keep mine in a lidded container and I use a small spoon to scoop a little bit onto my wet toothbrush. You could even repurpose an old toothpaste tube! It's up to you!
* 3 Tbsp coconut oil
* 3 Tbsp baking soda
* 25 drops peppermint essential oil
* 1 packet stevia
* 2 tsp vegetable glycerin (optional)
~Put the coconut oil and baking soda in a bowl and mash up with a fork until blended. Add the peppermint essential oil, stevia and optional vegetable glycerin and continue to mash and stir until you’ve reached toothpaste consistency. Just be warned that coconut oil is a solid oil, kind of like shortening, and it liquefies when it gets warm. In the same sense, when cold it is solid. It softens quite nicely at 98.6.

I hope someone gets something good out of this info. I also hope for lots of comments. Now, go make something, for cryin' out loud!!!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment